Saturday, August 22, 2009

There and Back Again

So, I'm finally back to the city after three weeks of self imposed village exile. I received a great welcome back from my villagers after being on vacation for a month. My friend Yaya, ran up to me and gave me a huge hug (which is really not a Nigerian thing to do), which makes me realize how much they like having me around, which is always a nice homecoming. We had so much to talk about the first week I was back, and there was so much going on. However after being back for a few weeks village life did get a little boring, there just wasn't a whole lot going on, so everyday was the same thing. Being out there for three weeks with nothing to do but sit around with my village women, really started to get to me. It really makes me realize how much I need to start projects!

However despite being mostly bored, there were some exciting things that happened, my neighbor took me out to the fields and taught me how to farm Nigerian style. One word for that: HARD! Fields here are planted in rows, like at home, however there is no heavy machinery to do the hard work, everything is done my hand. They use a long piece of wood attached to a v shaped metal tool. I had blisters all over my hands, and I only did it for like an hour. My village men go out and farm everyday for hours, I have no idea how they do it, they have so much effort! I've also been going out with village women and picking grass for the animals. It is kinda funny, because they ask me as we are out in the fields picking grass, "so do you do this in America?" I have to tell them that, "No, we don't have to do this in America, because there is grass everywhere!" They don't really get that concept, however seeing as they have been surrounded by sand their whole lives, I can't blame them.

Other news... Ramadan started today, which means a month long fast during daylight hours. There is no drinking water and no eating food. People get up at 4 am to eat food before the sun comes up, and then don't eat or drink again until the sun goes down. Once I get back out to my village I am going to attempt to fast, however, it is going to be tough!

We have also reached that point in time where we have to say goodbye to two old friends (actually three, but one already left us) and hello to six new ones. Jen and Michelle have finished up their service, and are getting ready to leave us in the next few days. However, we have six new people heading out east for the first time to check out their villages and meet their new team. It is a time of conflicting emotions, because saying goodbye is always hard, but at the same time it is exciting to see new faces. I guess that is the story of Peace Corps though, always changing.

Well, I guess that is all for now. Until we meet again!

Cheers!

Ari

No comments:

Post a Comment