Sunday, September 27, 2009

Ramadan Salla

Hey Friends!! So since I last posted Ramadan has come to an end - thank God!! Fasting was really starting to get to me. I have to admit, I was expecting a little more from the fete. My villagers had told me that everyone gets all dressed up, and you spend a big part of the day greeting people, and at the end of the day we feast on meat. I was thinking that maybe there was more to it than that, maybe lots of dancing and singing, or a big morning prayer where everyone attends. Not so much. It really is exactly what they said it was, getting dressed up, greeting people, and eating meat. Here is how my day went...So I got up in the morning and put on normal everyday clothes to go out and get breakfast, I wanted to see what everyone else was wearing before I put on the outfit I had made for Salla. So I went out and some of the men were all dressed up, but that was about it. So I went home, and did my housework that needed to be done - carrying water, sweeping, pulling weeds - then I decided it was time, I just needed to suck it up and put on all my fancy clothes and step out. (I've never before worn a full complay out in my village, so I knew that as soon as people started seeing me all dressed up, it was going to be a big deal.) As soon as people saw me, they just got these goofy smiles on their faces, and were like, "Now you are like us! You need to dress like this all the time!" I was really happy that they were all happy, however, I was the only adult woman dressed up! I was like, "Why aren't you dressed up?" Well, I didn't get the memo, but the women didn't get dressed up until the evening. I got over it pretty quick. :) So I spent most of the day greeting people and taking pictures - I think I took like 150 pictures that day. It was fun, but it can get crazy, because everyone wants there picture taken. That evening we feasted on macaroni and goat meat - and it was so good!! That was pretty much it, there were some girls dancing for a little while, but that isn't unusual by any means. And that was it, the Ramadan Fete was over. So that was my day, it was enjoyable, but needless to say, I'm glad another Ramadan season is a whole year away!

Until we meet again.
Cheers
Ari

No comments:

Post a Comment